Read the PDF version »
Landing pads are futuristic amenities at high-end Miami condominiums as Uber and Airbus prepare to introduce personal transportation drones
The Real Deal
As the development of personal transportation drones advances, landing pads are emerging as the latest must-have amenity at condominiums for the wealthiest buyers.
For example, three luxury condos will feature flying-car landing pads in Miami, where the 1 percent would be able to travel by air while the other 99 percent are stuck in the city’s notorious traffic congestion.
“These flying-car projects are the real deal,” Dan Kodsi, a Miami condo developer and recreational pilot, told the New York Post. “They are funded. NASA is involved. It’s not just science fiction anymore.”
Kodsi is chief executive officer of the company behind Paramount Miami Worldcenter, a 60-story condominium that will open next year in downtown Miami with a rooftop dock where personal transportation drones developed by Uber and Airbus would operate.
An oceanfront condominium development scheduled to open next year, Ritz-Carlton Residences in Miami Beach will feature a landing pad on a large boat, designed mainly for residents with private jets but suitable for personal transportation drones when they become available.
One Thousand Museum, a 62-story condominium in Miami that is nearly complete, will open with a rooftop helipad that doubles as an observation deck overlooking Biscayne Bay.
But condo prices at these three developments ensure that flying cars would be available to only the most privileged passengers. Condo prices range as high as $11 million at Paramount Miami Worldcenter, $20 million at One Thousand Museum and $40 million at Ritz-Carlton Residences in Miami Beach. [Inman.com] – Mike Seemuth