Read the PDF version »
By Jennifer LeClaire
Glitz and glamor are nothing new to Miami. We’re seeing luxury condos and multifamily projects rise at warp speed. Indeed, the city’s growing reputation as a global destination is fueling a race to luxury.
According to the Miami Downtown Development Authority‘s (DDA) Q2 Residential Market Study, investors still view Miami as a safe haven for investment despite foreign market volatility. High-end condo developers are looking for ways to stand out with over-the-top amenities designed to impress the most discerning of buyers.
Alyce Robertson, executive director of the Miami DDA, tells GlobeSt.com gone are the days where a rooftop pool or fitness center will cut it. “Buyers are wanting far more in terms of luxury amenities and developers are getting creative to meet these demands—and top them,” she says. “As a result, Miami’s urban core is joining the ranks of the world’s elite cities with features that are collectively redefining its skyline.”
With over 5,600 condo units currently under construction within the urban core, the Miami DDA has compiled its list of the most extravagant of amenities and where to find them. Sound off at the end of this article and let us know what you think.
1.The sky’s the limit at One Thousand Museum, the much-anticipated Zaha Hadid designedbuilding, where residents can literally swoop in and out at their leisure thanks to the property’s own rooftop helipad.
2.Life’s a beach at Biscayne Beach, which will house Downtown Miami’s first white sand beachalong the city’s corridor at its members-only Beach Club. The man-made beach will be elevated above sea level complete with private cabanas and bay access for swimming, kayaking, paddleboarding and more.
3. Take a bite out of the Big Apple at Brickell Flatiron, which is located on a triangular spit of land and modeled after New York’s iconic Flatiron building in Midtown Manhattan. Keeping up with its city vibe, the project will feature a 64th floor Sky Spa featuring a rooftop pool, sauna and pilates studio.
4. Bend it like Beckham at the 60-story Paramount Miami Worldcenter where residents can play a game of pick-up at its rooftop soccer field located on the building’s ninth floor recreation deck.
5. Go under the sea at the 180-unit Echo Brickell, which will feature its own 12,000-gallon fish tank in the lobby, filled with a variety of marine sea life.
6. Run rings around the competition at the 47-story 1010 Brickell, which will feature a rooftop racetrack offering 360-degree sky views as you burn off some steam.
7. Dine poolside at Rise Brickell City Centre where residents can order food and cocktails at the poolside bar and lounge without sacrificing their tan.
8. Tennis anyone? The 397-unit Hyde Midtown will feature its own tennis and bocce court where residents can play a round or two before hitting the sauna or steam room at the project’s own Ciel Spa.
9. No need to ‘Ask Jeeves’ at the SLS Hotel and Residences, which will provide residents with a round-the-clock multilingual staff along with detailed butler service to satisfy any whim.
10. Harness your inner “Namaste” at the 53-story Aria on the Bay where residents can keep calm and carry on at the building’s state-of-the-art yoga studio in the sky.
According to the Knight Frank 2015 Wealth Report’s Global Cities Survey, Miami is the only U.S. city outside of New York ranking in the top 10 for global investment. Miami has secured its position as a magnet for ultra-high net worth investment.
“Miami has a long history of providing a welcoming sanctuary for foreigners looking to escape the economic uncertainty and political volatility of their home countries. Buyers are investing in US stability when they purchase a condo in Downtown Miami,” says Robertson. “It is exciting to see how much this cycle has differed from the last in regards to the new features and amenities being incorporated as developers look to meet today’s high-end consumer desires.”